Family investment in housing

This page has technical information about how a family member can provide housing for their relative.There are a number of ways that a family member can pay for or leave a property to a relative.

This fact sheet tells you about seven ways:

  1. Outright Purchase - or to rent, to be inherited or put in trust (5, 6 and 7 below).
  2. Shared Ownership privately financed - parents fund part of the cost of a Shared Ownership home - part rent, part buy.
  3. Joint Ownership with other families or individuals - a group of families pool resources to buy an existing property or build new.
  4. Company Ownership - a group or people, form a company to buy or build. This is a useful option for larger groups who can even build a block of flats.
  5. Buy to Rent - a property is purchased for renting.
  6.  Inheritance - a property is directly inherited. A variant is for the property to be sold and proceeds used to buy property outright or on Shared Ownership terms.
  7. Property in a Discretionary Trust - instead of direct inheritance the property is put into a Trust.

The information family investment is too long to fit on this webpage. To get a document with full information, click on the link under Downloads at the bottom of this page.
Go to top

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
Learning Disability England
Birmingham Research Park
97 Vincent Drive
Birmingham, B15 2SQ, England
Tel. 0300 2010455
Learning Disability England
Registered company: 4233275
Registered Charity No. 1092587